Monday, September 8, 2008

What a night!!!

Wow! Last night was a killer!! We were absolutely slammed from the time I walked in at 3:00 until I left (an hour late) at midnight! I worked most of the night in x-ray but did get in a few hours of time down in CT so I would mention the interesting case I saw.

I'm not sure how much we're allowed to say on here because of HIPAA and everything so I won't mention the circumstances surrounding this patient's injuries, but I got to see something I'd never seen before. The patient's orders were pretty routine... I guess you'd call it our "trauma panel", a head and c-spine without and a Chest, Abdomen, and Pelvis with. I did the head and c-spine with no problem and as I was watching my CAP images come up so I could do delays, something caught my attention. I don't know how other scanners are, but after our scans are finished the images flash by at the top of the screen and something funny in the liver caught my attention. I wasn't really sure what I was seeing, though to me it kinda resembled how atrophy looks in the brain. Well I called the other tech (who's been doing CT for about 8 years now) over to take a look and it turns out it was a lacerated liver! Pretty cool! Well, not for the patient I guess but definitely something I'd never seen before.

I'm back in CT tonight so we'll see if anything interesting happens!!

No comments: