Thursday, August 20, 2009

Last One!!

Just thought I'd share one last set of images from a patient I scanned....



This patient is suffering from ischemic bowel disease. This is the first time I had ever seen anything like it. The radiologist I spoke with about the exam said that this patient would not live much longer... due to HIPAA, I didn't go snooping to find out what actually happened to him but once again, it's hard to walk back into a room and speak to a patient knowing that something is really really wrong with them.
On a better note, for the first time last week I scanned the abdomen/pelvis of a 56 day old baby. Earlier in the week I had done this same baby's chest x-ray and his symptoms included a fever of unknown origin, lack of appetite, and constant fussiness. The patient apparently had had a KUB done earlier in the day and it was suspected that he had a small bowel obstruction. The patient was to receive IV and oral contrast. He drank 4 oz. of oral contrast on the floor and then I gave him a little more through a bottle when he arrived in the department. I spoke with the radiologist before beginning the exam and it was decided to do one scan straight through about 60 seconds after injected of IV contrast. No delay kidneys to save the patient from excess radiation.
So, after the patient took the bottle with oral contrast, I did the scout images and then injected 9mL of contrast through a 24 gauge in the left side of the patient's skull! I was extremely nervous about this but everything went really well. The mother and grandmother did an excellent job of keeping the patient still and it went off without a hitch. Our head radiologist even came out to tell me how good of a job I did! All in all a great scan!
Hope everyone has had a great summer! I am so glad to be finished with school!!! Woo hoo!







No comments: